Tuesday, March 11, 2008

We all are listening to a lot now!

So I might be a little late on blogging about the anti-gay speech Sally Kern has gained national attention for. If you haven't already, you can listen to her tirade here.

So, with all of the local and national attention being placed on this, I wanted to get some discussion going. Representative Kern has sparked a lot of debate about free speech issues and the threat of homosexuals. But Rep. Kern's record shows that she finds a lot of things threatening, like women having control of their own bodies. Rep. Kern has been a "champion" for the anti-choicers by introducing, and unfortunately passing, a handful of anti-choice bills in her tenure as a legislator.

How do you and I combat this culture hostile to gays & lesbians and women that Rep. Kern is creating and fostering? I know that I don't live in her district (but close) so she might not want to hear from me as I am not her consistent. But I do want my voice heard. I think that we all need to speak out against hate speech of any kind and do what we can to voice our own opinions in opposition to Rep. Kern's. So, please consider doing what you can, blogging, writing letters to the editor, and contacting your own elected officials and let them know how you feel. And of course, comment here!

No comments:

There is power in your voice. Use it!