Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I Just Don't Understand

RH Reality Check has an interesting piece up about raising young girls in the Quiverfull movement. The article has been reprinted from a really fascinating blog developed by ex-members called No Longer Quivering. I was a home schooled kid (not for religious reasons) and I came across people like this (I don't know if they were quiverfull or not) a lot. The lack of autonomy for girls was astounding to me then, when I didn't even know what that meant, as it is now. To go through life as an extension, an arm, rather than an actual human being is just devastating to me. Mind you, I think we're all in this together, and individualism can certainly be damaging...but forcing self sacrifice onto women isn't self sacrifice. It's human sacrifice.

1 comment:

andrew said...

i was homeschooled (at least some) and I knew people like this, too. men and women who really did think of women in this fashion. disturbing.

There is power in your voice. Use it!